Friday, November 6, 2009

The Sistahood of Twilight

It's no secret that I'm a total Twi-hard - obviously. As I watched Lori Joffs from Twilight Lexicon sing 'Uninvited' by Alanis Morrissette from NewCon in Nashville, it struck me that The Twilight Saga has created a community where we share snippets of our lives, largely anonymous or knowing each other only by our twitter handles.

We follow each other's adventures in our daily lives as well as catching up on the latest Twi-gossip and goings-ons in the Twi-universe. It's an outlet for us to share the latest theories, etc. on our favourite Saga without judgment or having to defend why we like the books, movie(s), etc.

It truly is a sisterhood, yes I realize that there may be some men who enjoy The Twilight Saga however the majority are women - and that in itself, is also unique as I cannot think of a movie series which has ever had such a large female following and is clearly aimed at the female demographic. Suppose it is our very own 'Star Wars', 'Lord of the Rings', etc. (I being a fan of both those franchises).

The books were marketed to be for young adults, we all know that Twi-fans run the gamut from young to the young-at-heart, take me for instance - I would be considered a 'Twilight Mom' - adult women who like Twilight. No, I don't have children and when asked in the bookstore who the latest Twilight-related item is for, I own my obsession and tell them it's for me with a proud smile on my face. A store clerk a few weeks ago, actually groaned as I gleefully lay down the New Moon Movie Companion on the counter and said 'not another one'...I said to her 'this must be a popular item today?!' Geez. It was nice to see all of us on twitter share our excitement over having the book and perusing it during our lunch or having to save it until we got home that night.

I have often been asked why I like The Twilight Saga and always tell them that it starts and ends with the books - Stephenie Meyer has created a wonderfully rich Twi-world where we can revisit Bella, Edward and Jacob and company on a regular basis and relive their adventures when our own adventures sometimes do not seem as buoyant or exciting. Seeing the books realized as movies is just the icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment