Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Twilight Saga


To say that the Twilight Saga has captured my imagination is probably an understatement. I have read and re-read the books several times - it is difficult to explain what makes a fan a Twi-hard, but it all starts with the books. Stephenie Meyer http://stepheniemeyer.com/ has written such a detailed story that draws you in and keeps you coming back.

When I first heard that the first book 'Twilight' would be turned into a motion picture, I was super-excited. Although some of my friends did not like the movie, I loved it - filled in the holes with content from the book. 'New Moon' looks like it may satisfy the critics and the fans, although who really cares about the critics :)

'New Moon' and 'Eclipse', the 2nd and 3rd books were/are being filmed in & around Vancouver. Of course, having these movies being created in my own backyard, it became a challenge to find actual sets or at least where the filming had taken place.

'New Moon' was a more relaxed set - so relaxed in fact that I drove right through a set one night as they were setting up for filming at Bella's house - truck out front and all but managed only a picture from afar as I had convinced one of the security people that I lived in the neighbourhood and feigned any knowledge of what was going on (still chuckle when I recount this episode).


'Eclipse' has been a challenge even though some of the locations used in 'New Moon' were used again - first time I revisited Bella's house during 'Eclipse' filming, the security guard proceeded to yell at me as I was sitting in the car on a public road in front of the house. Needless to say this did not disuade me from further visits ;) The house was recreated from the original used in 'Twilight' and it's difficult to believe when you are close up that it's not an actual real house but rather a shell. Love movie magic.

I have not actually seen any filming, but seeing the sets when filming has completed and/or remnants of props has been a lot of fun.

As for the actors, have met Jackson Rathbone (Jasper Hale) and Xavier Samuel (Riley) and hope to catch a glimpse of others - opportunity is fleeting as filming will wrap up at the end of October.

Hopefully, production will return for the last installment 'Breaking Dawn' however, rumours abound that they will not be back in Vancouver and return to Oregon where 'Twilight' was shot. Only time will tell. If they do not return, I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to see bits & pieces of 'New Moon' and 'Eclipse'.

No comments:

Post a Comment