Saturday, May 26, 2012

"The Avengers"


Loki, half-brother of Thor, played by the awesome Tom Hiddleston
Source: boxofficemojo.com
"Avengers assemble!" And assemble they did, to the tune of $486,369,000 domestically since "The Avengers" opening on May 4, 2012. The movie is quickly becoming one of the highest grossing films to date, just over one billion dollars worldwide.

I saw it on opening weekend, people in the audience whooped, hollered and clapped several times at key scenes. It is a rollicking good time.

The screenplay was co-written by Joss Whedon who also directed the movie, if you are familiar with Joss' work such as the television version of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" you will know that his writing is witty, sarcastic and full of pop culture references - this movie is no exception. I have never had such a good time at an action flick since "Armageddon" where my friends and I hooted and hollered with laughter throughout but it wasn't supposed to be funny...I still don't know why we weren't kicked out of the theatre, one of the best movie-going memories ever!

I didn't expect to like "The Avengers" as much as I did, much of its success lies with Joss and the screenplay, like so many good/great movies, it all starts with the writing, and there is a lot of great writing. Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, delivers some of the most awesome one-liners. Tom Hiddleston is terrifically camp as Loki, half-brother of Thor. Truth be told, I have only seen the Iron Man movies so you do not need to be familiar with Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc. to enjoy this movie.

For the next installment, and there most definitely will be, all I will ask is that it must include Tom Hiddleston's Loki. I have seen the movie twice so far and contemplating a third viewing, it is that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment