Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Eagles

Sixteen years ago, I moved to British Columbia (Vancouver area) from Ontario. Soon after settling into life on the westcoast, it became apparent that I was somewhat lost in translation.

True story - I was watching the news with my aunt and a story came on regarding cross-border shopping, which at the time (1994) Americans were coming to shop in Canada as our dollar was so low (approx. 73 cents). The reporter asked them why they were coming to Canada, they replied some shopping and to see the eagles. My eyes popped out of my head as I exclaimed "The Eagles!!! Oh, my I have wanted to see them my whole life. When are they here? How long are they here for?" My aunt calmly replied that they would be here for a few weeks. "A few weeks?! Are they here to rehearse?" Aunt: "Rehearse for what? They come back every year to the same spot near Brackendale." Me: "They come back every year? They must be very popular here." Aunt: "People come from all over to see them. They spend hours observing them and taking pictures." Me: "Observing them? Taking pictures, sounds like a zoo. Wouldn't that be rather distracting when practicing their music?" Aunt: "Music? What are you talking about?" Me: "The Eagles, the band!" Aunt: "The band? Never heard of them, I'm talking about the birds."

This was followed by fits of laughter from both of us. My aunt thought she had a serious birder on her hands. My mind is trained for entertainment, not bird watching. In years since, I have seen eagles and they are visually stunning to see up close, magnificent raptors. Of course, this story has been told and retold a few times and each time we end up laughing.

Well, finally on May 9, I will go see the Eagles (the band) - Long Road Out of Eden tour. They have sold out 3 shows in Vancouver.  There will be thousands of us observing and taking pictures of them while enjoying their music.

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm laughing! I love eagles (the birds) and see several on a regular basis when driving to or from work.

    I hope you enjoy the concert! :)

    ReplyDelete