Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Colin Firth to star in 'Stoker' is he really 'Mr. Darcy, Vampyre'?

It is no secret that I have a penchant for vampires, always have from a very young age. Not sure why, I saw 'Dracula' with Bela Lugosi at 8 or 9 years of age and suppose that image of him - his piercing eyes over his folded arm with cape left a lasting impression. Even used to chase my little sister around the house imitating his voice "I vant to suck your blood" and she screeching and screaming hiding under the table. Good times.

Of course, with the popularity of a certain franchise, which shall remain nameless (rhymes with nightlight) vampires have saturated the media in recent years, much to my delight (rhymes with a certain vampire franchise).

In the summer of 2009, I bought the book 'Mr. Darcy, Vampyre'. It is a sequel of sorts to Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice'. Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy are married when she finds out that Mr. Darcy is actually a vampire. How could I resist! 'Pride and Prejudice' is one of my favourite books and the 1995 BBC mini-series starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle certainly captured my attention. I think I saw it three times that year as A&E showed it multiple times and wore out the VHS tape that it was recorded on. I purchased the DVD box set a few years ago, and on a rainy day (of which there are a few here) I will pull it out and watch it. If you have not yet had the pleasure to see the 'P&P' mini-series, really you should.

Helen Fielding who wrote the 'Bridget Jones' novels based the character Mark Darcy on Colin Firth (she is close friends with Colin and Hugh Grant, both of whom starred in the 'Bridget Jones' movies). In fact, in the sequel 'Bridget Jones - Edge of Reason' Helen writes a hilarious scene where Bridget interviews the actor Colin Firth, of course in the movie this could not be incorporated as Colin Firth played Mark Darcy (confused yet) so they did it as a DVD extra scene which is very funny especially if you have seen 'Pride and Prejudice'.

Source: Google Images - Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth "Pride and Prejudice" 1995















Last week it was announced that Colin Firth, fresh off an Oscar Best Actor win for 'The King's Speech' (side note, Jennifer Ehle plays Lionel Logue's wife in the movie) will play a vampire in 'Stoker' also starring Nicole Kidman. Of course, this reminded me of the book 'Mr. Darcy, Vampyre'. Colin has recently said that he would be disappointed if people forgot that he played the characters Mr. Darcy and Mark Darcy so I get my ultimate wish, Colin Firth, aka the Darcy's, playing a vampire.

No comments:

Post a Comment