Sunday, December 27, 2009

Movie Award Season



Movie award season is upon us. This is always a highlight of the year for me, no kidding. I know most people's eyes glaze over at the mere mention of a Golden Globe, SAG (Screen Actor's Guild), Spirit Award or Oscar but for me this period is like any popular sporting event playoffs and championship game.

The Academy Awards have been for me like the Superbowl - I dress up (well, used to) in fancy clothes even though most years it's just me watching the show - not many people have the stamina it takes to sit through the red carpet, show and post-show wrap-up - it takes years of training :-)

Not sure where I get my enthusiasm for movies as it was not something my parents encouraged - they did not like us to sit idle and watch movies, we had to be doing something productive. Knowing who played what part in this or that movie, who the director/producer was and who composed the music was not considered to be a wise use of our time...needless to say I was very creative in how I managed to see so many movies when I was growing up. Forget about having a TV in our bedroom, there was only one TV which had to be at a low volume so not to wake up everyone - why they would always put the good movies on late at night I will never know.

My first theatrical movie was 'Grease', I was a bit young but that didn't matter - most of the subject matter was beyond my understanding and it wasn't until a few years later when I realized what was going on - the music told the story, dialogue was secondary.

Favourite movie of all time, I know that for someone like me who has seen literally hundreds if not more movies would be blaspheme to pick one but you can like/love more than one movie for different reasons - so the answer is - 'The Sound of Music'. I have watched that movie at least twice a year since I was a child - it was so exciting to get a video copy of it for my birthday one year, it would be the first time to see the movie without commercial interruptions. Then when I saw it on the big screen for the first time, thrilling. It's a combination of music, story and actors which artfully created this classic film. Have also watched the live theatre production several times - what can I say, it makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment